Approx calories (per portion): 550
Approx preparation and cooking time: 30 mins
This dish has a really fresh taste and can be customised in so many different ways. If you’re not a fan of fresh garlic, or just find the taste a bit over-powering in this sauce you can either use a bit less or, take the minced garlic, mix with a bit of oil and place under a low grill for 5-10 minutes. The taste will become much less sharp.
– 2 skinless chicken breasts
– 100g Couscous
– Large chunk of Cucumber
– Half a large, or one whole regular tomato
– 2 cloves of garlic
– Small handful of fresh basil and coriander
– 1 small pot of yoghurt
– Salt and pepper
– Soy sauce
– Lemon juice
- You’re going to want to get the chicken in the marinade first, to give it the maximum amount of time to absorb the flavours of the honey and the mustard. First grab a decent sized bowl and add in about 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of mustard and about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can also add a couple of dashes of soy sauce if you wish for a darker colour and slightly nuttier flavour. Whisk or stir the marinade together and set aside. Cut the chicken into chunky strips. Add the chicken to the honey and mustard and mix around in the marinade so every piece is well covered. Leave to one side.
- Next, boil about 3dl of water in a pan. As soon as it’s boiling, add in a drizzle of oil, pour in the dry couscous and stir around for a few seconds. The couscous will cook almost instantly and you can just leave it as it is while you move on to step 3.
- While the couscous cools gently you can take the tomato and cucumber and chop them into small chunks. Grab the herbs and chop them roughly.
- Mix the cucumber, tomato and herbs in with the still warm couscous, add in freshly ground salt and pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil. The warm couscous will cause the herbs to wilt slightly and really bring out the flavours. Stir well and set aside. For a bit of extra freshness you can also squeeze in about half a lemon into the couscous.
- Peel and mince (or chop finely) the garlic cloves. Transfer the yoghurt to a suitably sized bowl, add the garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Lastly, take a large frying pan and put on a hot stove with a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom. Allow to heat up and transfer the entire contents of the bowl of chicken in the marinade into the frying pan. Fry for around 10 minutes, turning regularly until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve the couscous salad and chicken together, with the yoghurt sauce drizzled over the chicken and enjoy 🙂