Approx cost: €3
Approx calories (per slice): 280
Approx preparation and cooking time: 40 mins
Who doesn’t like cake? This cake has a great “speckled” appearance inside due to the chopped chocolate inside – enough to add a bit of colour without being overbearing in chocolate flavour. Give it a try and see what you think!
– 180g Butter, room temperature
– 180g Caster Sugar
– 180g Self-Raising Flour
– 3 Eggs
– 100g Plain Chocolate
You’ll also need
– A Sandwich Tin
- Preheat the oven to about 160 degrees Celsius and then start by mixing the butter and sugar together until pale and then add in the eggs one by one, beating in well after each addition.
- When the eggs have been completely mixed in, pour in the flour and beat with a spoon until completely mixed. Some say that it’s best to use a metal spoon to “fold” in the flour. Personally I never notice a difference so it’s not really a problem to beat it in with the regular wooden spoon. Once mixed, take the chocolate and chop the whole bar very finely.
- Mix the chocolate flakes in with the mixture, ensuring there are no clumps of “pure chocolate”, and everything is mixed well.
- Rub a little butter on the inside of a round Sandwich Tin, about 22cm in diameter and then spoon the mixture inside and smooth out to cover the pan. Place into the preheated oven for around 25-30 minutes, until the centre is not wobbly and you can stick in a skewer or fork and pull it out cleanly. Allow to cool in the tin a few minutes and firm up before turning out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Try not to do what I did and stick with a fork when it wasn’t done yet thus allowing a load of air to escape and collapsing the centre slightly. Still, the taste is unaffected, and that’s what’s important! Brew up a nice cup of tea and enjoy!